Effect of Addition of Three Leaf Yam Flour on Dough Properties and Sensory Qualities of Bread
- Eke-Ejiofor J.
- Deedam N.
- Beleya A.
The effect of three leaf yam flour addition at 5%, 10% and 15% substitution level, dough properties, proximate analysis and sensory qualities of bread were investigated. The values for moisture content ranged from 25.2% to 29.5% with sample A (100%WF) significantly different (p <0.05) from all the other samples. Protein and fat contents ranged from 11.9% to 13.00% and from 1.46% to 4.67% with sample D (15%TLYF) significantly different (p <0.05) from the other samples. Ash and fibre contents ranged from 0.64 to 1.11% and 0.90 to 5.40%, respectively. Total Available Carbohydrate (TAC) ranged from 48.82% to 59.78% with sample D (15%TLYF) been significantly different (P<0.05) from the other samples. Result for physical characteristics showed that volume of bread samples ranged from 157.45cm3 to 158.6cm3 with sample F (10%CF) the least and sample A (100%WF) the highest while weight ranged from 340.04g to 412.66g with sample B the lowest and sample G the highest. Sensory evaluation result for bread showed that samples A (100% WF, B (5%TLYF), E(5%CF) and F(10%CF) were most preferred for crust color, taste, texture and overall acceptability. Alveograph studies of bread dough gave work done (W) ranging from 126 to 307 with 15% cassava flour as the lowest and 100% Wheat flour the highest, while extensibility ratio of dough ranged from 41-76 with sample C (10%TLYF) as the least and (10%CF) as the highest. Work done and extensibility results of bread dough decreased with an increase in substitution level, while ratio of resistance to extensibility (P/L) increase with an increase in substitution for three leaf yam composite dough. The presence of three leaf yam flour addition improved the nutritional qualities of the bread in terms of protein, fat and ash while carbohydrate content reduced which is to an advantage, while addition affected the sensory and physical properties adversely.
- Bella DongEditorial Assistant