Evaluation of Web Accessibility of Higher Education Institutions in Chile
- Carlos Máñez Carvajal
- Rocío Fernández Piqueras
- Jose F. Cervera Mérida
The aim of this study is to assess the web accessibility concerning the websites of Chilean universities which are listed in The World University Rankings.
Web accessibility is a fundamental factor in achieving a true educational inclusion. It is especially important in the light of the current trend of expanding not only the online content, but also online learning. What makes this even more essential is the Chilean legislation which under Law 20422 establishes the regulations regarding equality of opportunity and social inclusion of people with disabilities.
The analysis has been conducted on the basis of the international standard set by the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C), version WCAG 2.0. Evaluation methodology called WCAG-EM created by the same entity, has been applied in the analysis. Various automatic web accessibility evaluation tools have also been used, apart from manual verifications.
The study reveals that the websites of Chilean universities have hardly complied with the regulation and that there are barriers and difficulties of access for the elderly and/or people with disabilities.
Google-based Impact Factor (2017): 6.85
h-index (January 2018): 34
i10-index (January 2018): 256
h5-index (January 2018): 23
h5-median(January 2018): 33
- Academic Journals Database
- BASE (Bielefeld Academic Search Engine)
- CNKI Scholar
- Education Resources Information Center (ERIC)
- Educational Research Abstracts
- Electronic Journals Library
- Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA)
- Genamics JournalSeek
- GETIT@YALE (Yale University Library)
- Google Scholar
- Harvard Library E-Journals
- Open J-Gate
- PKP Open Archives Harvester
- Plataforma Sucupira/CAPES
- Polska Bibliografia Naukowa
- Standard Periodical Directory
- Technische Informationsbibliothek (TIB)
- The Keepers Registry
- Universal Digital Library
- Chris LeeEditorial Assistant