The Emerging Roles of Coaches in the Malaysian Dual Training System

Nor Hazana Abdullah

Abstract


This paper discusses the new task of industry personnel as coaches in the National Dual Training System (NDTS), a newly introduced training initiative for producing k-workers in Malaysia.  The decision to introduce this initiative was made by the Malaysian Cabinet on the 19th May 2004 with the hope that it will resolve the issue of skilled workers being produced, but not meeting the needs of the industry. The initiative began in 2005 for four skill sets, i.e., manufacturing tools (tool and dies), automatic control process, automotive mechanics and plant operations.  Its implementation involves two parties: training providers and industries, where about 70% to 80% of training at the industries, with the remaining 20% to 30% at the training institutes.  After completion of the four semesters program, apprentices are awarded the NDTS k-Worker Certificate.  Since the industry personnel plays a greater role than before through the newly introduced system, the understanding of new tasks of industry personnel as coaches to the apprentices is explored.  The analysis of literature shows that different levels of personnel, i.e., executive, supervisory and senior technician require different skill sets in carrying out the coaching tasks.  Based on this requirement, therefore, the potential enhancement programs required to equip these personnel with necessary skills can be developed.

Full Text: PDF

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.

International Education Studies ISSN 1913-9020 (Print), ISSN 1913-9039 (Online)

Copyright © Canadian Center of Science and Education

To make sure that you can receive messages from us, please add the 'ccsenet.org' domain to your e-mail 'safe list'. If you do not receive e-mail in your 'inbox', check your 'bulk mail' or 'junk mail' folders.